El Paso Group Chair
All right, El Paso Sierrans…
We asked for it. We begged for it. And we waited and waited and waited for it!
Glass recycling for El Paso is finally HERE.
Yes, it is only a pilot program. And there is no curbside collection…yet. But it is HERE.
El Paso’s Environmental Services Department is now collecting glass at all five Citizen Collection Stations for processing into pulverized glass at the Pendale Road Station. All we have to do is take our clean glass containers to a Citizen Collection Station, separate by color, and we’re done. If you want free mulch from glass, you may pick that up at 1034 Pendale Road. This is a hot commodity at the Mesilla Valley Landfill, where the bins are almost always empty.
But wait. How do we make sure our pilot program becomes permanent? Some suggestions:
- Talk about it with everyone
- Offer to take your neighbors’ glass to a Citizen Collection Station.
- Watch for Environmental Services’ how-to handouts
- Attend the January 27 Ribbon Cutting (10 a.m. at 1034 Pendale)
- Attend the January 27 Community Meeting (6 p.m. at Carolina Rec Center)
- Tell your City Council Rep you appreciate glass recycling and want a pulverizer for your CCS
- Thank District 7 (Eastside) Rep. Lily Limon for initiating the Pilot Program
- Enjoy and take pride in a cleaner El Paso
Citizen Collection Stations
Northeast 4501 Hondo Pass (off Stahala)
Central 2492 Harrison
South 4200 Delta
Westside 121 Atlantic (at Doniphan)
Eastside 1034 Pendale
Meeting with state Representative Lily Limon
7:30 a.m. Wednesday, January 27
Denny’s I-10 at Lomaland
10 a.m. January 27
1034 Pendale Road
With Representative Lily Limon and Director Ellen Smyth
6 p.m. January 27
Carolina Recreation Center, 563 N. Carolina Drive
Your El Paso Sierra Club thanks you and wishes us all a “glassier” 2016!
Photo by Pixabay