The Rio Grande Chapter of the Sierra Club stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement to address and change racial and social injustice, and put an end to the violence perpetrated by the police on black lives and people of color. We acknowledge that environmental injustice and climate change adversely impact disenfranchised, black, indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) communities on the frontlines. In unity with BLM, we are committed to transforming the intolerable hardships and disparities which have been in existence for far too long. If we as an organization are to protect and redeem our planet, we must first begin with liberating and saving its inhabitants.
Why the Sierra Club is taking a stand
As people across the country protest in defense of Black lives, the Sierra Club recognizes the need to dismantle systemic racism in the United States and within our own organization. We must reckon with how white supremacy – both past and present – has shaped our institutions and do the critical anti-racism work necessary to repair the harm done. The environmental movement does not exist in a vacuum, and it is our responsibility to use our power to help abolish systemic racism which is destroying lives, communities, and the planet.
The COVID-19 crisis has not passed and continues to disproportionately harm Black, Indigenous, and Latinx people and other communities of color. The pandemic has revealed how the communities hardest hit are often the same people that suffer from high levels of pollution and poor access to healthcare. The fight for environmental justice cannot be separated from the fight for racial justice.
Actions you can take
- Deepen your understanding about anti-racism and white supremacy. Here are some resources.
- Support local black owned businesses. Help shrink the racial wealth gap and strengthen local black economies. Read more about this.
- Join our Solidarity Policy Committee. If you have ideas or would like to be added to the Solidarity Policy Committee, please contact Miya.King-Flaherty@Sierraclub.org
- Share news, webinars, events and calls to action related to racial and social justice.
- Share volunteer or mutual aid opportunities that support communities of color.
- Inform us about other organizations we can partner with.
- Invite speakers working on social/racial justice to talk to us.
Related articles and posts
Articles from the national Sierra Club
Posts from the Rio Grande Chapter